LEDs Hold No Accountability for Mercury Contamination

LEDs Hold No Accountability for Mercury Contamination

Fortunately, the market is now offered with mercury-free illuminating materials to serve as alternative for mercury- containing conventional lights. Consumers may no longer have to worry about being responsible for some mercury contamination through the use of fluorescent lights or the incandescent ones. The practice of using LEDs is becoming a mainstream act especially in today’s era when the people are becoming more aware of pollutions’ impact to the environment. Practically, LEDs are not just mercury free, they are also 300% more energy efficient than LFLs and 1000% more energy efficient than the CFLs.

Fluorescents and CFLs contain amount of mercury and many other harmful contaminants. This can actually affect a huge area of H2O resources once unconstrained. Because of mercury’s lethal nature, they can’t just be disposed anywhere, there must be proper and scientific interventions. In actual fact, mercury is a toxic heavy metal and due to humans’ negligence, its presence on the current milieu is continually increasing. See that once mercury is released into the air, it falls to the earth which eventually mix up in our soils and water systems. It would then transform into methylmercury – an extremely noxious toxicant that could accumulate in the wildlife and people’s tissues.

Key facts about mercury according to the World Health Organizations:

  • Exposure to mercury – even small amounts – may cause serious health problems, and is a threat to the development of the child in utero and early life.
  • Mercury may have toxic effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, and on lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes.
  • Mercury is considered by WHO as one of the top ten chemicals or groups of chemicals of major public health concern.
  • People are mainly exposed to methylmercury, an organic compound, when they eat fish and shellfish that contain the compound.

Mercury’s risk to human health

Mainly, when a certain fluorescent tube breaks, its mercury vapour is then released to the air. Often, in a typical room size, the amount of vapor could exceed the limit that is allowable in the general environment. Later after evaporation, the spilt mercury will then turn into liquid which can now stick into dusts and surfaces. This may pose a great threat especially to children as they can gather some contaminated dust in their finger and may thus swallow a piece of it.

Both elemental and methylmercury are harmful to the central and peripheral nervous systems. Know that by simple inhalation of mercury vapor may also cause extreme harm to various body parts like in digestive system, the lungs as well as the kidneys making it completely fatal. Further, the synthetic salts of mercury can be destructive to the epidermis, eyes and to the gastrointestinal tract.